Saturday, February 2, 2008

On Electronic Literature

I viewed "Red Riding Hood", which I thought would be similar to the children's classic. I suppose it was in a dark way. The music that accompanied the story was very dark, and I didn't like the repetitiveness. The premise of the story was there and the cartoon characters were cute, but I didn't care for having to click to move the story along. Although in traditional reading, you do have to turn pages! I am somewhat old school when it comes to technology and prefer the traditional way of reading literature, or anything for that matter. I believe that I comprehend better when I am reading a book versus looking at the commputer screen. And there were no words, so it was like watching a movie. You lose something when you are watching versus reading. I do anyway. When books are made into movies they always have to leave something from the book out or the movie would be too long. The movie is a translation of the book, as was the case here. While I did enjoy the movie and watching the characters interact, I prefer the traditional way of reading. This could be because I have not fully grasped technology with all of my being. You can do almost everything on the Internet these days, but some things I just prefer to do the old fashioned way. Reading is one of them.

1 comment:

Dean Taciuch said...

When a book is "translated" to the screen, something is lost. Is anything gained?

When "translating" to interactive media, what is lost? What is gained?